Blakers Park Opening Ceremony - 1894

The Brighton and Hove Herald of Saturday November 10th 1894 reported the dedication of the Park by Alderman Dr. Ewart to the public ‘for ever’.

The Mayor came on the scene in his robes of office accompanied by the Mayoress; the mace bearer added the touch of dignity which the emblem of authority bestowed upon him; the Mayor had his piper in full Highland costume in readiness to play a skirl on the bagpipes, bright flags fluttered (a little sadly in the damp air).

Alderman Blaker was present with his wife and his daughter who was dressed in a ‘Kate Greenaway’ cloak and hood.

He handed to the Mayor a silver gift key as an outward and visible sign of the gift of the ground to the town.

Then the piper and mace bearer to the front, everyone walked from gate to gate of the enclosure and that completed the ceremony.

Some speeches were afterwards delivered by the Mayor who spoke in warm and grateful terms of Alderman Blaker’s’ generosity and also of his gift to the town of £1,000 to be offered to him for releasing the restriction covenants of the Sanatorium ground at the top of Bear Road.

After the speeches Miss Ewart planted a tree in commemoration of the event and light refreshments were served in a tent.

Donate to the Clock Fund